Wednesday 17 September 2008

Last Nights Moths 16/9/08








As the weather seemed promising last night despite the rather wet day I decided to run the MV moth trap by the caravan. Not a large list of species of huge numbers but its always useful to run the trap every few day to sample the local moth population. I have noticed that apart from the Light Brown Apple Moth (Epiphyas postvittana) which occurs in large numbers I seem to get very few microlepidoptera compared to my garden in Yorkshire which was in mature woodland. I had another new species for my life list last night, ironically a micro moth called Eudonia angustea, a mainly coastal species that feeds on mosses as a larvae. Still numbers of the third brood of Brimstone Moth, these are incredibly small being the size of a Common Carpet. I also had my first "migrant moth" in the area in Rush Veneer.

Photos from bottom up
Brimstone Moth
Rush Veneer
Pink Barred Sallow
Frosted Orange
Feathered Ranunculus
Setaceous Hebrew Character


LAST NIGHTS MOTHS

Parsnip Moth (Depressaria heraclei)
Light Brown Apple Moth (Epiphyas postvittana)
Eudonia angustea
Rush Veneer (Nomophila noctuella)
Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata)
Autumnal Rustic (Eugnorisma glareosa)
Setaceous Hebrew Character (Xestia c-nigrum)
Square-spot Rustic (Xestia xanthographa)
Feathered Ranunculus (Polymixis lichenea)
Pink-barred Sallow (Xanthia togata)
Plain Golden Y (Autographa jota)

No comments: